Monday, July 22, 2013

Bucksport, Maine July 22, 2013



Hello all!!                                                                              July 22, 2013
There have been some pretty interesting things that happened this week, but I just hope I'll have enough time to tell you about them.  I am writing this at a small library where there are only two computers, and we can only use them for 30 min. increments.  It is pretty hard writing because there are so many people who come in to use the computers, so we have to get off and wait until they are free again.  It is definitely a test of patience!  There is an extra long line in back of me today, so hopefully this will at least be coherent.
First of all, thank you for your letters! It is really nice to get an update from home in the middle of the week and it gives me the boost that I need :)  I love you all so much and I am so grateful for your support!  It means a lot to me.  Being here and seeing so many broken families I've only just begun to realize how lucky I am to have all of you.  Thank you thank you mom and dad for teaching me the gospel and raising me to put God first. I'll be forever grateful :)  It is what has brought me true joy throughout my life!
This week I have been studying about faith.  I love my personal study time, and I learn so much when I prayerfully go to the scriptures with questions.  I am so grateful that part of my day can be dedicated to learning more so I can teach more effectively.  Throughout the week, the concept of having faith and not fear was pretty consistent in my studies and also when we taught.  Missions are overwhelming and challenging emotionally, physically, and spiritually, but I know in whom I have put my trust, and I know that He can help me.  One day when we got out of a teaching appointment I felt really discouraged because I felt afraid to add to what my amazing companion was teaching so wonderfully, so I stayed quite for the majority of the lesson.  I was afraid that I would say something that didn't relate, or would take away from the spirit.  It was hard especially because I had been studying about having faith and I didn't act on my knowledge.  But it just reminded me of how imperfect I am and always will be.  That is why I need to constantly be relying on the Lord.  Because it is through Him that I can feel the promptings of the spirit and teach.  It was very humbling.  But a good growing experience that I learned from with the next lesson that we had with Kaila.  I just love her so much!  I can see the change in her face and attitude, and the way she talks about the gospel can instantly make my day.  We were teaching about the plan of salvation and talking about our life here on earth when the scripture in Ether 12:27 came to mind, so I just decided to go with it.  It was amazing to see that that was the exact scripture she needed to strengthen her faith in that moment.  I felt so happy I was able to help her with something that she had been struggling with. It was such a small thing, but what a great testimony builder for my faith.  The prompting came in a quick thought that I didn't really think too much about, but just acted on, and when I did it, I saw how much it helped.  I am so grateful that I was able to have that experience! The gospel is so real, and I have faith that the Lord knows me perfectly and personally and that while I may not get those promptings in every lesson or everyday, the more I act on my faith, the more they will come. 
So, I have a quest for you, family!  I would love to hear some of your favorite scriptures and quotes about faith, and experiences when you have been blessed by acting in faith.  It would be really helpful for me to see more perspectives :) 
Alright, well anyways, I have some good news! Kaila's baptismal date has been moved up to the 17th because the branch is having a temple trip on the 24th!  She has chosen to try to get the lessons in a shorter amount of time so she can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost sooner. We are going to try to go over to her house more often so we can do that, and we are hoping it will work out alright.  If not we can do it a couple weeks later which is fine, but it is just amazing to see how much she wants to be baptized!  I am just so grateful for her and her growing faith.
Now as for the weather you were talking about mom, it is pretty insane!  It has got really, really hot and humid this week, and we don't have air conditioning.  We utilize our two fans as best we can, and we've been decently comfortable.  The past couple days, however have been more overcast, and on Saturday we came home to quite the interesting sight.  The tree next door decided he wanted to fall right on our apartment.  There was a huge windstorm, and it was just his time to go I guess.  There are some cracks in our wall but nothing big, just some damage to the roof.  I wish I could send you pictures with this email, but I'll print them out and send them to you soon!  They removed it that night and there is hardly any trace that it fell now, so everything worked out. 
Well, I've got to go, but keep looking for opportunities to share the gospel because they are all around you.  There are people searching for it, and it will bless their lives so much and yours in the process!  

 Have faith and keep on keeping on!
With lots of love,
Sister Bergeson

No comments:

Post a Comment