Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bucksport, Maine, Aug. 12, 2013



Hello Family!                                        Aug. 12, 2013
How are you all doing?  It's been awhile since I've been updated!  Write me soon, ok?  Well, this week has been pretty crazy, but good! I've definitely learned a lot.  And well, that is how it has been every week of my mission so far.  It is amazing :)
First of all, I have to start with the really good news!  Everything is set up for Kaila's baptism :) :)  Her husband couldn't get work off on the 17th though, so she will be baptized on the 15th!!  Your 25th anniversary mom and dad :)  That made me pretty excited!  And Kaila is even more excited.  She has been reading the scriptures so much and listening to the hymns and studying about baptism and the temple.  She knows how important this step is, and I am just so happy for her!  Also, there will be the branch temple trip to the Boston temple on the 24th, and she will be able to go and do baptisms for the dead if all goes well!  Hopefully it will, she wants to go to the temple so bad :)  She is just doing so well, and she is so happy.  My favorite is the way that she interacts with the members.  She has been fellowshipped so well, and the mothers love helping out with her cute daughter.  Ahh, missionary work is just so good!  And it is all because she was open and ready to hear and accept the Holy Ghost bear witness to her that the gospel is true.
So, this week I went on two exchanges!  My companion is the sister training leader for our zone.  That means that she goes to the leadership meetings every month and she goes on an exchange with every sister in the zone each transfer. So I'll end up going on a total of six exchanges this transfer.  Which is a great thing because I really like exchanges!  I learn a lot about getting along with new people, and I get new ideas about how to better share the gospel with others.  I went on an exchange with Sister Jensen, my MTC companion, again and it was great to talk to each other and see how we have grown! On another exchange I also went tracting for the first time which was interesting.  It showed me how important members are to the work because it is very seldom that someone even opens the door long enough for you to say your name, let alone share about the gospel.  Keep looking for missionary opportunities, it really helps the missionaries when the members do the finding :) 
Alright, well I also have a confession.  This week has been pretty stressful.  Getting everything ready for Kaila's baptism interview was hectic, but miraculously went through thanks to a member who was willing to sacrifice her afternoon to take Kaila to the chapel.  Great, but stressful nonetheless.  And with the exchanges I really didn't get to spend that much time in my area.  Also, our area definitely has its challenges.  We are in the far top corner and we feel like we need to do more work in a couple towns that are an hour away from us.  We are pretty far away from the majority of the members also.  So, needless to say, this buildup of stress was not very healthy for our companionship this week.  However, we had a great talk yesterday about it that I learned and grew a lot from.  But before I talk about that, I just want to say that my trainer, Sister Wallentine is AMAZING!!  She has such a strong testimony of the Savior and she is so loving and kind.  I look up to her so much, and she has really helped me build my faith in this gospel because of her example.  So, in our conversation we mentioned how easy it is to bottle emotions up inside and act like you are strong, but how harmful that is too.  I feel like I do that a lot with my stress and insecurities, and it ends up biting me in the rear end.  Yep yep.  The world makes it seem like people who admit their weaknesses are frail and hopeless, but it is so different in the Lord's eyes!  In 2 Corinthians 12:10, Paul says, "For when I am weak, then am I strong."  I know that this is true!  Humility is such a strength because it is the way that we qualify for the Lord's help.  Asking the Lord to help me with my shortcomings has allowed me to recognize the Holy Ghost guiding me.  I know that with the Lord's help I can do all things, which is such a blessing because life is tough!  It is hard to be patient and open and calm and on and on, but I know that I can do it because I have the Lord :)  What a great lesson learned, and I'm positive I'll keep learning it again and again all throughout my mission and my life. 
Well, you've made it to the end of the letter! Hooray :)  Thanks for being the greatest family around!  I love you all so much and hope that you have a fantastic week!
With all my love,
Sister Bergeson
P.S. I love the fall already.  Love it.  The weather has cooled down and the leaves have started changing a little bit!!  I'm so excited to see all the different colors soon!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment