Monday, February 10, 2014

Feb. 10 2014 Bethel, Maine

A Mighty Change of Heart
Hello wonderful family!!                               Feb. 10, 2014

I hope that you have had a great week!! :)  How has the weather been there in Utah?  Lots of snow?  There has been up here!  This week has been amazing, I have so many thoughts that I want to make sure I get down, but it may be jumbled.  I've just learned so much over the past few days!!

So, Monday was great, we did everything that we needed to, and I got my hair cut by a member, which was great!  I love p-days and being able to get all organized for the rest of the week, it is great!  The next day though really wasn't the greatest for me for some reason.  I feel like this transfer I have had a hard time having the desire to be obedient.  There are so many things that we need to do in this area each day and it is exhausting.  There are so many people having hard times and we hear all about it.  There are also so many rules that we are expected to obey with exactness as missionaries.  I was starting to find little ways to fight against the rules, mainly in my heart.  I wasn't fully engaged in this good cause.  Outwardly, I was doing everything that I needed to do, but I wasn't being changed inwardly. That led to discouragement and overall, I just wasn't as happy as I was at the beginning of my mission.  We had a good day, we saw the people we had planned and had good lessons, but I was just tired.  I was so looking forward to getting to bed at the end of the day.  So, when the time came to plan for the next day I really didn't have the spirit with me.  We needed to make back up plans if there was going to be a snow day, which I wasn't too excited about.  Here in Bethel, we are really far away from civilization.  Like, 5 miles.  On snow days the only way to get around is on our own two feet, and tracting on our super spread out road just really didn't sound fun at all.  Thankfully, I have a super amazing companion that noticed I was a bit frustrated and we talked it out.  How I love talking things out with companions!!  I learn and grow so much! :)  We came to the conclusion that this is the Lord's work.  Not mine.  I am on a mission to serve Him the way that He has designed for me too.  With all my heart, might, mind and strength.  I need to do His will.  So, we made the plans and I felt more at peace.  

Wednesday came and school was cancelled due to massive amounts of snow covering the ground, and it kept coming.  So, we worked on visuals inside until the time came to bundle up and head out with our shovels.  I was still somewhat holding back, though.  It was still not my desire to go out.  But, I went anyways.  And we saw a miracle.  The first door that we knocked on was one two houses away from us.  A lady answered the door and we asked if we could help her shovel.  She let us in instead and we talked for a while.  She had been through some hard things recently and she didn't really have a religion to turn to.  She wants to understand the Bible, so we offered to do Bible study with her, and she readily agreed.  Then we started talking about the plan of salvation and she was excited to learn more about it.  Long story short- new investigator.  What a huge miracle.  The last time I found a new investigator was late October of last year.  This was a big deal.  And it all stemmed out of the blessing of obedience.  My heart was instantly softened.  My desire increased so much.  I changed. 

But that still isn't the end of the story.  We had zone conference the next day.  The best zone conference I have had so far!  It was exactly what I needed to hear.  It solidified everything that I learned the previous day.  It was all centered around this inspired case study called, "The Fourth Missionary" by Lawrence E. Corbridge.  Please look it up and read it.  It is long, but it is worth it!!  I have such a renewed desire to be better a better missionary and a better person after having read and discussed it in our meeting on Thursday.  It is all about becoming the missionary that God wants me to be.  All about changing!  So many great insights from this talk :)  One thing that he emphasizes is that we are always changing.  As humans we can't remain stagnant.  Life is like a treadmill, we cannot stand still.  Here is one of my favorites excerpts, "To believe that weakness and deficiencies in your character are unchangeable is to reject the central truth of the plan of salvation.  You are not cast in stone.  You not only can change but you do change all of the time.  You are a dynamic, changing, evolving being.  You are always changing.  You never stay the same.  You cannot stand still."  We are either moving forward or backwards, and at the beginning of the week, I felt like I was slipping back.  Giving in to the natural man inside of me telling me to hold back the one gift I can give to my Savior, my will.  This is not what a fourth missionary does.  Lawrence E. Corbridge  divided different types of missionaries into categories and describes the characteristics of each.  A fourth missionary is one who changes the lives of others and his own as he gives his will to God throughout his service.  He is not perfect, but he has DESIRE.  He unconditionally surrenders.  He gives his whole self to God.  My favorite part of this talk expounds on this. 

"Just give it up.  Surrender your will to Him.  Unconditionally.  Withhold nothing.  Turn it all over to Him; all of your desires, wishes, dreams and hopes.  Be true and faithful in your head and in your heart, not just in your behavior.  Trust in Him.  Trust Him who knows all things.  Trust Him who has all power.  Trust Him whose love for you is perfect.  Trust Him, who alone suffered, paid and atoned for your sins, and for your weaknesses as well.  Trust Him that He will make of you, immeasurably more, than what you will ever, ever, in all eternity, make of yourself.  He will create of you a masterpiece.  You will create of you only a smudge.  You will create an ordinary man.  He will create a God." 

How powerful.  How true.  I know that as I strive to give the Lord my will.  Give him the desires of my heart.  He will indeed make of me a masterpiece.  I just need to take that first step and trust Him.  It isn't always easy, and I know that I will never be perfect at it.  I will always have weaknesses, but that is why I have a Savior.  He understands.  He loves me so much.  He knows that I have a strong desire to serve Him so he gives me experiences that teach me and test me and help me grow even more so I can rely on Him even more.  What a perfect plan.  I am so grateful for it!  I am so grateful for this opportunity to change and grow!  I know that it is possible if I turn to the Savior!  It was a zone conference to remember.

And what is more, my personal study lined up even more to this theme of change and desire.  I just finished reading Alma 5.  Coincidence?  Not at all.  In verses 11-13 Alma describes his father and the change that Abinidi's words made on him and his people.  Then he asks in verse 14 to those he was preaching too, and I would like to think to me as well- "Have ye spiritually been born of God?  Have ye received his image in your countenances?  Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"  These questions are so profound, and I feel like the answer can change for me everyday, because change is constant. I need to make sure that everyday I strive for these things.  That is what a fourth missionary does. 

Overall, it comes down to whether I just go through my mission, or whether I let my mission go through me.  It all comes down to my desire to give my will to God.  My determination to serve with everything that God has given me.  My love for myself and for the people I am surrounded by.  And I know that this needs to continue throughout my whole life.  I know that it is possible, and it is even the easier way to go like it says in the fourth missionary.  What a blessing!

I love being a missionary!  Through the think and thin I have been changed bit by bit to become more of who God wants me to be.  I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true!!  It has blessed my life so much!! 

It certainly has been a great week! :)  And I am so excited for the upcoming week as well!!  I hope that you have a fantastic Valentines Day!!  I LOVE you SO, SO, SOOO much!!  Keep on keeping on and remember,

"The realization of your amazing, astounding, and true potential happens only in the hands of the Lord.  But you and only you can place yourselves in those masterful, loving hands."

Sister Bergeson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment