Monday, September 23, 2013

Sept. 23, 2013 Bucksport, Maine



Hello family!                    Sept. 23, 2013

How are you all doing?  I can't believe that September is coming to an end, it's crazy!!  Time just flies!  I got your letters today, which was great :)  It had been awhile since I had heard from you.  I am so sorry to hear about grandpa, I'm definitely keeping him in my prayers and please tell him I love him for me and to keep on smiling :) 
So, this week has been pretty up and down for me. I've found that missions are like that a lot, but boy have I learned a whole bunch this week!  I'll start with the not as great stuff first.  Our numbers have been the worst they have been in awhile.  We haven't really got to teach anyone at all, and all of our set appointments fell through.  Joe has been having a hard time and he has asked for some time to think about whether or not he wants to continue learning about the gospel which has been hard. He can recognize the spirit, but it just seems like he doesn't want to change his lifestyle and accept Christ into his life. Kaila has had a hard week too, and didn't come to church yesterday.  Finding can be quite the challenge, but this week it has seemed like it has been the hardest.  We are still adjusting to our trio too, which hasn't been that bad, it is just that we have to get used to teaching with each other.  It can be pretty easy to start thinking negatively, but it is so harmful!  So... what have I been doing recently to conquer these not so happy thoughts? 
SING HYMNS!!  I absolutely love the hymns :) They make me so happy!  They take my mind off of current small problems and help me see the big picture!  They give me hope and joy!  Even though the work has been slow, I've found when I turn to God and sing and smile I am so much happier than if I dwell on the negative things that may be happening. I have also learned and am continuing and to learn to laugh and enjoy the small things!  It makes all the difference :)  I love being able to laugh with my companions, and we have so much fun together that it takes the burden off of what may be happening with our numbers despite our best efforts.  Plus, on the bright side we had a great week for working with the members!  We visited and ate with a lot of branch members and it was so good!  I love getting to know the members out here, they have such amazing conversion stories and love for the gospel!  Also, we had zone interviews this week which is always great and we exchanged afterwords.  I love exchanges, they are amazing!  The sister that came out to Bucksport with me also taught me what I would love to become my new talent.... Beat boxing!!  Yep, I'm not super good at it, but that didn't stop me from trying!  It was so much fun, and it sounds so cool when done well.  When it isn't done well..not so much, but boy it made me happy to try!!
Other happy things that happened this week: 
- We called James on the ship in Michigan and he is doing really well!!  He finished the Book of Mormon and he is starting to read it again :)  He told us that before we met him he already had four copies of the Book of Mormon other people had given him, but he hadn't read them and had no desire to.  Now he told us that this is the perfect time for him to learn and read more in his life.  How cool!!  Also he has completely kept the word of wisdom.  As a sailor all by himself in Michigan, that is so impressive!!  He has withstood the urge to drink coffee and alcohol because he has turned to Jesus Christ.  It is amazing!  He also said he understands the necessity for baptism and he wants to be baptized!  It is super tricky with his work schedule though so we'll see how it will all work out.  Hopefully it can happen in November though! :) 
- The elders in Ellsworth had a baptism on Saturday!  A sister (13) and a brother (11)  whose mom is less-active.  It was the most unique baptism I have ever attended.  Yep.  Lets just say that a cannonball took place in the baptismal font.  Unique is definitely the right word.  But, hooray, this little Ellsworth branch has grown leaps and bounds since I have arrived here!! We have had three new families move in in the past month!! :) Now we just have to find and teach more people to add to the growth!!
I love this gospel and I love being a missionary!!  It is hard.  I'm tired and it can get discouraging at times, but I know that I'm a daughter of God and that all these things that are happening are meant to give me experience!! :)  Prayer, the scriptures, hymns, laughter, all of these are tools that we have been given by God to help us succeed and we just need to use them!!  The Atonement is real and it gives me such great hope!  I am so grateful I have the chance to serve the Lord right here, right now!  It's a miracle :)
It reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures :)  "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Chrsit, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."  What a great promise! 
Carry on!
Love,
Sister Bergeson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment