Monday, November 25, 2013

Nov. 25 2013, Bucksport, Maine

Peace, Be Still   
Dear Family,                         Nov. 25, 2013
I hope that you have all had a great week!! This has been quite the crazy one for me.  Hopefully I'll have enough time to tell you about it!  I guess I'll get right to it then! :)
So, Monday we had FHE with Tracy and Izzy again, and we made sock snowmen.  It is so much fun to have a craft night with them.  I feel like it has helped us get to know them so much better.  I love doing family home evening!! :)  It is great! :)  Then that night we went on an exchange.  I went to Brewer, and although pretty much everything fell through we had a lot of fun.  They have this amazing new investigator who is so golden that it is crazy!  I love teaching people who are so interested and eager to learn anything and everything that they can about the gospel.  It is amazing, and I just feel so amazing to be able to share it with them :)  Although it was sad not being able to stay here and teach our investigators.  Exchanges can be pretty bittersweet sometimes, but I absolutely love them!! :) The sisters that are in my zone are fantastic!! 
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were pretty routine.  Not much to report, except for the fact that we got the most amazing phone call I have ever received Friday morning.  Our investigator, Valerie, called us to tell us about her experience with the Jehovah Witnesses.  They had been coming regularly and she had tried to tell them to stop coming in the past, but that morning she was a bit more bold with them.  She said she flat out told them that she is going to be baptized into the Mormon church.  That crazy moment when your investigator calls you and tells you that she is going to be baptized.  I would have never guessed.  It is really exciting!  I love Valerie so much, teaching her is great!! :)  We will definitely have to get a baptism date for her soon!!  While I'm talking about baptismal dates, James is still set for December 4th, and oh, there is another cool thing that I forgot to mention.  On Thursday, his mom invited us over while he was out on his hunting trip.  She and her sister had a couple of questions for us.  Pretty basic.  They pretty much wanted to have a basic overview of the church.  We had a great talk, and they were so nice.  Before we left we sang them I am a Child of God, and the spirit was there so strong!  They were both crying, and it was amazing to see the spirit touch their hearts!  They will both be at the baptism with their husbands and James's parents are going to be at a pie night activity we are having on Tuesday!! :)  Great things are happening! :)  It is amazing! 
So, now maybe I'll get into the not so great.  Saturday was one of the craziest days of my mission experience to date.  We were following the daily schedule and were just finishing up with our companion scripture study when we heard a loud bang.  Our whole house shook.  We had absolutely no idea what happened, but I was thinking it could have been some sort of earthquake or lightening bolt.  We ran upstairs to see what could have happened, and upon our arrival we beheld a hole in our ceiling.  The sheet rock had caved in and it was quite the mess right above Sister Bickel's bed.  A tree (another part of the tree that fell in July/August time) fell on our apartment due to the harsh winds.  From there I don't even know how to explain what happened.  We called so many people we had people calling us our neighbors were over to see what happened, our landlord came with a carpenter, and overall, we were informed that no matter what, we would not be sleeping in our apartment that night.  Maybe not even for a couple weeks.  The whole ceiling needs to be fixed.  So, we hurriedly threw some things into suitcases and hurried out of there.  I would never have guessed I'd have the opportunity to experience homelessness while on a mission!  Quite the adventure.  I'm pretty sure I'll do everything I can to avoid that when I get home.  But really, the world adventure doesn't begin to describe everything.  We decided that we would go and help a member move like we had planned, and after we headed to the branch president's house in Sedgewick.  He was nice enough to provide a roof over our head and feed us food.  It was a pretty humbling experience, that's for sure.  His daughters gave up their beds, and we just tried to wrap our heads around what just happened.  The next day was just as stressful.  I was so exhausted, and there was so much I needed to do, but I kinda felt in a fog.  We had branch council, and that just wasn't very good at all.  Pretty contentious, sadly.  Then, we went back to President Dauk's house, ate lunch, then headed to a less-active member's house to visit.  While we were there, her power went out.  I was sad that our visit had to be cut short, but that was how it was.  It was so windy and cold.  0 degrees with the wind chill...brrrr!!  When we arrived back at the Dauk"s we were informed that their basement had some flooding because one of their pipes froze.  Then, after dinner, a tree fell on their power line and the power and running water shut off.  I'm pretty sure that we have become bad luck or something.  It has all just been crazy and stressful and not easy.  In the midst of all of this, I may or may not have needed a break and I put it off too long because it came to a point where I didn't really feel like I could function.  I felt so alone and helpless.  I didn't know what to do.  Through the midst of all of my emotions the thought came to just pray.  Boy can I tell you I prayed and prayed!  I poured out my heart to my Heavenly Father and asked for strength and comfort, and I felt so good afterwords!  The scripture comes to mind, "Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps. 46:10).  I know that God is always there.  He knows me perfectly and loves me!!  I could feel his love for me this weekend so strongly as I came to Him and pleaded for help.  He listens and answers prayers.  He cares.  We just need to take the time to be still.  In life it may feel like a tempest is raging, but the Master is in control of all, and we can have peace if we turn to Him.  (See Hymn 105 :)) 
I am so grateful for everything I have.  I'm grateful for the members!  We are going to be back in Bucksport and living with members here temporarily.  We are continuing to pray that everything will work out fine, and I know that it will go according to God's plan :)  I know that this all happened for a reason.  I've learned so much!  I'll continue to learn so much!  And I'll keep moving forward in faith :)  I'm so grateful for all of you back home.  I love you so much and I hope that you have a fantastic Thanksgiving!! :) 
Count your many blessings!
Sister Bergeson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment