Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014 Bethel, Maine

There is Sunshine in my Soul Today :)
Family!!                                       June 2, 2014

What a beautiful day it is in Bethel, Maine today!! I just love it here so much!  Finally the sun has decided to stay out :)  And all the leaves on the trees have made their appearance!!  I've seen more green here than I have probably in my entire life!  Ahh... so good!  But well, I've also been attacked by bugs, and even had an allergic reaction to some of them, so I'm covered with bumps, but we bought bug spray, so that is good!  I hope things are going great at home!  Summer is practically here, it is crazy! 

This week lots of stuff happened!  Pretty great overall! :)  We were able to do a lot of volunteer work!  Yay!  I love being able to serve so many people!  It all started off with a meeting with the pastor of the Alliance church here in town.  It is the popular church here, and we wanted to get involved in their community meal they put on so we went there and asked if we could help out.  He said that he wanted to meet with us first, so we did, and boy it was exciting!  He wanted to get to know more about what we believed so he could see if we would be able to volunteer or something like that.  We need to be up to par with their standards of beliefs, I guess.  Anyways, the meeting went well.  He was kinda intimidating, but it was great to be able to clear up a couple things.  All he knew about Mormons was polygamy and the FLDS church.  So, we pretty much gave him a run down of everything!  We gave him a Book of Mormon and the Articles of Faith and he said that he would really look into it and talk with us later.  Pretty sweet!  We were also able to help a lady at the Methodist church as well.  We helped rake leaves a bit ago and this time she needed help cleaning the sanctuary.  It was such a great experience and she appreciated it so much!  :)  We helped Sister Smith paint and I learned how to edge a wall :)    And we miraculously found the Bethel Volunteer Fair 15 minutes before it closed and were able to find a whole bunch of opportunities to get involved in the community!  I love the responses we received when we were so willing to help others, it was great!! :)   Service...it is just awesome!! :)

Our investigators are doing well, but most especially Michael!  We have been working a lot with him, and he is doing great.  He felt like he had a whole lot of trials when he started learning which was hard for him, but he decided to turn to God and he feels so much stronger!  He is such a great example to me!  He has so much love for God and he is so grateful that we've been able to help him and we've never given up on him.  He is a modern day Alma the Younger, that is for sure!!  Andrea, another investigator of ours is also doing well, she came to church yesterday and bore her testimony!  It was a really neat experience!  It has been a great experience helping my new companion to adjust to being a missionary.  I've definitely needed to be patient, and it will be a process before teaching together will really flow, but it will all happen in the Lord's time, and boy I sure am growing in the process.  Sister Banda extended her first baptismal invitation to Josephine and Tony, which was pretty neat!  They said they had been thinking about it, but they really won't be able to make it to church right now because of different circumstances.  It was great to see her stretch herself though and go by the spirit and ask them :)  I'm a proud momma!  We've also been doing a lot of real playing (aka role playing), which has been great!  I love real playing because it helps me put things into words better.  I've had to work at it a lot, but I feel like my ability to teach has really grown.  It has been great now to be able to help Sister Banda and we're both learning as a result! :) 

Other cool news!  We had a lesson with Adan and he told us that he has been reading the scriptures and thinking a lot, and he keeps going over the idea of serving a mission in his head.  He wants to help other people improve their lives, especially by bringing them closer to God.  He is such a great example!  He comes to mutual on Wednesdays and includes everyone, so the youth have bonded a lot because of him.  It is great!!  He has a strong testimony and he is going to do amazing things!  Also, we had a lesson with the McLarens yesterday which went really well!  We've been focusing a lot on the scriptures the past couple of months, and likening them to ourselves, and it has been great!  Yesterday we went over the Psalm of Nephi and focused on asking inspired questions.  They were able to open up more, and Sister McLaren told us that she has been praying for the desire to quit smoking because she really wants to be sealed in the temple!! :)  Ahh!!  Miracle!!  We kind of talked about quitting with her a bit ago, but she was pretty set that she wasn't going to do anything about it until she decided she desired it, and the desire is coming!! :)  I love being able to see change and growth in the people that we teach!  I've truly come to love the McLarens and everyone else here!  I have such a strong desire to help them come closer to Christ, and when they decide that is what they want it is the greatest feeling in the world!! :)  I just love it!! 

One more story.  It was the last day of the month and miles were running low, but we wanted to go to Rumford, so off we went!  We parked in a central location and walked to a less active we were going to help, but she wasn't home.  Alright, so we went to a super awesome potential investigator we found there last week.  She wasn't home either.  Bummer.  Our plans had all fallen through, except finding.  So, we looked and looked.  We walked all over town and met nice people who wanted to talk to us, and people who didn't.  Overall, a lot of walking.  We were finishing up a street, and then I saw another street and decided we should just give those few houses a try, and what do you know?  The sweetest lady answered and let us in and made us lemonade.  Miracle.  I was so grateful to give my feet a rest and quench my thirst :)  Such a blessing!  We talked with her about books and reading and I shared with her my favorite book- The Book of Mormon.  (I totally thought of you when I said that dad :)  I remember you would always tell me that when I asked what your favorite book was).  How I love the Book of Mormon!! It is so wonderful!! :)  I know that it is true!  I was so grateful that I was able to share with that sweet lady such a treasure and she was glad to receive it :) 

Being a missionary is wonderful.  I just love it so much!  And love all you so much as well!! Have a great week!!

All my love,
Sister Bergeson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment